I never get tired of making vegan 'burger' creations. In this recipe I took some ingredients that traditionally make their way into vegan curries, and instead threw them into a food processor and made patties out of them. They have a really interesting flavor and texture, a kick of heat and a hint of sweetness. I'm pretty proud of this inventive recipe, and hope you like it!
Like how I wrote that intro up top like everything around here is perfectly normal and it hasn't been almost three weeks since I last posted? Me too. But it has been almost three weeks, and that is because I had two retreats at work, a weekend training to become a certified running coach, a conference in Texas that took up nearly an entire week, and I've also
been finishing out my training schedule for a 50K trail race I'm running in...3 days. It's been quite a bit to juggle, and everyone around here has been feeling the burn. Don't feel neglected that I deprioritized writing the blog. I also deprioritized cleaning the house, and dog hair dust bunnies are casually rolling around like a very allergic version of a Western movie. I'll get to them eventually.
So, these burgers are not something I made recently. We've been subsiding on a lot of rice and vegetables. I created these, several weeks ago, out of desperation. I always buy a bag of carrots, then they sit in the bottom of the fridge for weeks while I ignore them, occasionally taking one out to feed to the dogs. I don't know why, to be honest with you--carrots are great, and full of nutrients. I just usually don't cook with them. Determined to use a bag before they shriveled up on me, I came up with this really easy vegan burger recipe. It features carrots, chick peas, green onions, raisins, curry powder, and a few other items to make everything stick together.
Quick, Easy Prep
Makes 6 burgers
What You Need:
Three medium carrots, chopped into coins
1.5 cups garbanzo beans
Bunch of green onions, trimmed & chopped
One jalapeño (optional, if you're not into heat!)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup oat flour (You can substitute other flours, i just find oat flour binds really nicely!)
1/2 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
2) Put all of your ingredients in a food processor and blend until everything is combined. You'll still have some chunks of carrot, and that is fine!
4) Get a baking sheet ready. I did not grease mine and I was able to flip the burgers just fine without them sticking!
3) Once everything is blended to your liking, form patties with your hands & put them on the baking sheet. You should be able to make at least six.
4) Put the baking sheet in the oven for 10 minutes.
5) After 10 minutes, remove the sheet, flip the burgers and press them down slightly, then return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
Super easy! These save really nicely, too. Hopefully we'll have enough time around here soon that I can make them again. Let me know how they work out for you!